Welcome to Our Website
Situated in the county of Suffolk, 4 miles south west of the historic town of Bury St. Edmunds, the parish includes the hamlets of Mickley Green, Melon Green and Stone Cross Green.
Once the property of Bury Abbey it became a possession of the Drury family after the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th Century. Whepstead Church is the only church in England dedicated to St. Petronilla. In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson described Whepstead in his Imperial Gazeteer of England and Wales like this:
"WHEPSTEAD, a parish, with a village, in Thingoe district, Suffolk; 41/2 miles SSW of Bury St. Edmunds r. station. It has a post office under Bury St Edmunds. Acres 2,670. Real property £4,281. Pop 677, Houses 140. The property is much divided. Plumpton House is the seat of WR Bevan, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value £600. Patron, A.R Steele, Esq. The church is good; and there are an endowed school with £35 a year and charities £50"
Today, there is no longer a post office, nor a school, but we do have a thriving community spirit, thanks to the hard work of the Whepstead Community Association which hosts numerous fun events throughout the year. There are also plenty of well-supported clubs and organisations.